Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Planning a Party & Introducing Ursula & Olive

Saturday Zach's family is coming for a cookout. I've been planning everything out on paper but tomorrow & Friday we'll be setting up a tent( the one we use for shows) as well as other party-forward items.. table chairs other essentials! So I'll be blogging the turnout on Sunday. So for now ...I've been wanting to feature different crafters on this blog- monthly- Here is my first!

I met Darlene at the Providence Open Market. She is the one-woman powerhouse behind Ursula & Olive on etsy. Check Her Out I wanted to interview her- because she rocks, has a unique spin on her craft and is just a lovely person! Support the Handmade Community!


Where did you come up with name for your shop?

In 2006 I moved into an old tavern house built in 1775. In researching the history of the house we discovered that it was once owned by 2 sisters listed on the deed as Ursula and Olive Tucker, Maiden Ladies. That was the legal way to say "Spinsters" back in the 1800's.


I felt an immediate bond with the previous home owners, named my shop after them and they've become my crafting ghosts who fly around the house and inspire me to create (and they occasionally steal my scissors, but they bring them back after I spend 10 minutes franticly looking for them).

How long have you been running your shop?

I opened my shop in August of 2006 and lurked around checking out shops and forums for a few months but really didn’t start selling until January of 2007.

Where does your inspiration come from?

Books are a big inspiration for me. I’m an avid reader and have always loved even just the feel of books! I should have been a librarian but I enjoy cutting up old books too much so instead I’m constantly trying to find new things to make out of old books! Right now most of my books end up as pins, tins, cards and envelopes.

Do you craft full-time- Would you want to?

I craft every chance I get but sadly it doesn’t pay the bills yet. My dream is to some day be discovered by Martha Stewart or Oprah and have so many customers that I can quit my day job and make a living at crafting.




Who is your biggest supporter (family, friends etc)?

Since I haven’t met Martha or Oprah yet, I’d have to say my biggest supporters are my family. They come visit me at my shows and they ask me every day “so, did you sell anything on Etsy today?” I think they’re hoping I meet Oprah so they can too!


What is your favorite thing to make and why?

I have a slight case of crafting ADD, so I tend to get bored with a craft easily and move on to something else. I’m finding pins my favorite thing to make because with the pins each pin is unique, even though I’ve made over 2000 pins now I don’t feel like I’m repeating myself. Each one is like a little mini wearable piece of artwork.


Where would you like to be in the next couple of years with your business?

I still feel like a newbie to the world of selling crafts even though I’ve made them all my life. This is the 1st year that I’ve sold on line and done shows so my goal for the next couple years is to build up a customer base, learn more about the business of crafting and then start expanding to possible other venues like wholesale and boutiques. Unless of course Martha or Oprah comes along in which case I would like to quit my job and craft my heart away!

UrsulaandOlive.etsy.com

Thanks Darlene! Keep up the wonderful work!

1 comment:

Loree said...

I like the interview. Nice!