Wednesday, December 23, 2009

December in many forms


Well as everyone gears up for Christmas, I'll leave you with an excerpt from A Child's Calendar By John Updike. We lost him this year and he will be missed. One of my favorite authors. I read this to Hazel a lot while in my tummy and now with her on my lap or rambling around the room playing as I read aloud.

:::::December::::::
First snow! The flakes,
So few, so light
Remake the world
In solid white.

All bundled up,
We feel as if
We were fat penguins,
Warm and stiff.

The toy-packed shops
Half split their sides,
And Mother brings home
Things she hides.

Old carols peal.
The dusk is dense.
There is a mood
Of sweet suspense.

The shepherds wait,
The kings, the tree-
All wait for something
Yet to be,

Some miracle.
And then it's here,
Wrapped up in hope-
Another year!

Be well- Merry Christmas xo

2 comments:

Tree Huggin Momma said...

Merry Christmas to you too!

considerthelillies said...

merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!