Monday, June 15, 2009

Dirty, Spilling Rooftop-Saturday

This weekend came and went so fast. The rain stopped a little bit in order for a group of strangers to get to meet one of their favorite people, stretch on the grass at Sunset Park and make art on a rooftop in Brooklyn.

Without going through every detail, I invite you to see my Flickr account. But I will share a few of my favorites.

messy painted hands- i love them


our folded canvas drying


miss sabrina


my journal page- from DR Seuss SLeep Book- very appropriate for the last few weeks- my theme was sleep

The idea was for all of us to paint on a huge canvas, let it dry, cut it up and we would each have a page to collage. Due to time and weather restraints- we painted and had a glorious time in the rain on the roof- but didn't get to get a piece of the canvas paper. Sabrina was amazing- not at all what I had imagined- in fact I didn't know what to expect. She's much more colorful in her clothing and dress that I thought, which I loved. She's very down-to-earth and silly. But she is also very passionate about art, poetry and the beauty in everyday things. Unfortunately, since there was such a big group, I didn't get to connect with her the way, I may have wanted to- but then again- I am very shy by default- so even if it had been a smaller group- I would have probably remained mostly quiet and just observing.Either way it was an experience I will not soon forget. I met her, got an autograph and a picture! and she gave me a tile that she affectionately hand wrote Hazel on. I will shellac to preserve it and cherish it always.

She inspired me in many ways after this day. Although I was so tired and my body still aches from carrying my heavy bags around the city, clinging tight to the ladder on the roof and just from being a little scared- they are good aches- like exercising. I exercised parts of me- I haven't exercised in years. I urge you to get a book of hers,if even from the library. Sit with a cup of tea,coffee whatever you love and carve out 10 minutes an hour- a moment and feel this book.
xo

2 comments:

magpie said...

still working on my blog post
and processing - photos and thoughts and words. look forward to checking out flickr. i'll be putting stuff up on shutterfly for just the group but wonder if its okay with you to put a shot of you on the blog.

Hobocamp Crafts said...

sure! i'd be honored- can't wait to see it all!